Temporary border controls

The Swedish Police carry out checks on persons wishing to enter Sweden at select border crossing points, in order to verify that persons entering Sweden has the legal right to enter and stay in the country.

The border controls are performed in in Skåne at Hyllie station, the bridgehead at Lernacken, Trelleborg harbour, Helsingborg harbour and Malmö harbour. The police will check that you are in possession of valid travel documents.

Valid travel documents for Swedish citizens

  • Passport
  • National ID card
  • Valid driving licence issued in a Nordic country may suffice for travels inside the Nordic countries. Please note that it is the traveller’s responsibility to confirm his or her citizenship.

Valid travel documents for other Citizens

For citizens of a Nordic country, a valid driving licence or national ID card issued in a Nordic country may suffice for travels inside the Nordics. Please note that it is the traveller’s responsibility to confirm his or her citizenship.

  • Citizens of other EU/EEA countries need a valid passport or national ID card. 
  • Individuals holding a Schengen residence permit, needs a valid permit, in addition to a valid passport.
  • Citizens of other countries need to hold a valid passport. The passport can not be older than 10 years and needs to be valid at least 3 months after the planned return journey. A visa might be required. Please check the websites of Regeringskansliet (Government Offices of Sweden) or Migrationsverket (the Swedish Migration Agency) for information on entry requirements for citizens from different countries.

A national ID card is a special identification document issued by the responsible authority in each EU Member State. In Sweden, passports and national ID cards are issued by the Police Authority. Please note that identity cards issued by Skatteverket (the Swedish Tax Agency) or different kinds of bank cards, are not valid travel documents.

ID cards from the Swedish Tax Agency is not valid for travel

ID cards issued by the Swedish Tax Agency or different kinds of bank cards, are not valid travel documents."utfärdade av Skatteverket eller olika typer av bankkort är inte giltiga resehandlingar." ID cards issued by the Swedish Tax Agency are only valid in Sweden.

Children travelling with their legal guardian are exempt from holding a valid travel document

A minor citizen of a Nordic country, travelling with his or her legal guardian, but without his or her own travel document, can prove his or her right to enter Sweden by the legal guardian providing a legal travel document which qualifies for entry according to the description above, as well as proof of guardianship.

Exception from holding valid travel document for participants in school trips and similar trips

A group of minors from schools, associations or similar groups, for which a teacher or other adult in a similar role, accepts responsibility, can be granted entry if the adult can show a list of group members. The documentation needs to include 

  • personal information of the minors
  • approval from the minors’ legal guardians that
  • the accompanying adult is responsible.

The adult also needs to prove his or her own right to enter and stay in Sweden. The adult also needs to clearly show that the minors participate in an organized group journey within the frame of e.g. school or spare time activities.

Citizenship requirements

All minors need to be citizens of one of the Nordic countries, or citizens of an EEA country and reside in one of those countries.

For minors who are not EEA citizens but residents holding a resident permit in a member state, the form List of participants on school journeys within the EU from the Swedish Migration Agency, needs to be completed by the responsible teacher or similar adult.

List of participants on school journeys within the EU

Important to consider when evaluating the right to enter

The risk of illegal immigration and general threats to order and security, is to be taken into consideration during all evaluations in relations to border control.

When evaluating minors’ right to entry according to the mentioned conditions, the risk of human trafficking and custody disputes, also needs to be taken into consideration.

The border code article 6.2. cleraly states that while carrying out border checks, border guards shall not discriminate against persons on grounds of sex, racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation. A person’s ethnicity can therefore not alone be used as a reason to check a person, or group of persons.

The difference between border controls and ID controls

The government have decided that the temporary ID controls which transportation providers were required to perform when transporting someone over an internal border - a border against another Schengen country - from January 4th 2016 till May 4th 2017, are no longer to be performed.

This meant that the transportation provider according to the regulation checked that the passengers had valid photo identification, but this was not equal to a border control. Travellers were allowed to board the carrier if they held what the transportation provider considered to be valid identification documents, and the police considered that the transportation provider had done its duty if the provider could show that all passengers had been checked.

The fact that a person had shown a valid identification document to the transportation provider and that such control had been approved by the police, did not, however, mean that the person automatically had the right to enter Sweden. Individuals could, as a result of the border control performed by the police, be rejected at the border if they were not allowed to enter the country, despite showing a valid photo ID to the transportation provider.

he Swedish government decided to end the ID controls on May 3rd 2017, but the border controls continue.

Validity of French ID cards

French national ID cards are usually valid for fifteen years if the holder is eighteen years or older. ID cards issued between January 2nd 2004 and December 31st 2013 were valid for ten years, but the time of validity was prolonged to fifteen years by French law. This happened without a formal note about the prolonged validity was added to the document in question.

Sweden accepts that holders of such ID cards enter and stay in the country, despite the fact that the expiry date on the card might have passed. Persons who are eighteen years or above have, from January 1st 2014, received a new ID card valid for fifteen years, when issued a new card.

Public register of authentic travel and indentity documents online (web site in English)