Temporary border controls

During a temporary border control the Swedish Police carries out checks of persons entering Sweden at select border crossing points, in order to verify that persons entering Sweden have the legal right to enter and stay in the country.

No tests required for entry anymore

The Swedish government's previous decision about negative covid test for entry from China to Sweden, was not extended. As a result, negative covid tests or vaccine certificates are no longer required for entry to Sweden from February 19th  2023, regardless of departure country. Ordinary entry requirements applies, like holding a valid travel document, and visa if applicable.

Identity checks are enforced on passenger ships

From 28 March 2022, most passengers over 18 travelling with passenger ships to Sweden from another country will have to present a valid identification. This identity check will be done by the carrier and is not considered border control. If a border control is to be performed, this will be done by the Swedish Police or the Swedish Coast Guard upon entry to Sweden. Questions regarding identity checks or which identity documents are accepted for boarding, need to be posed to the carrier. Or to the Swedish Transport Agency which is responsible for checking the carriers' lists. This will be in effect until 30 June 2023. 

Entry from Ukraine

As a Ukrainian citizens you can enter Sweden without a visa for max 90 days if you hold a biometric passport. A visa is normally required for entry without a biometric passport. It is, however, not required to hold a valid travel document if you apply for asylum at the border. You will then be allowed to enter, and your case will be referred to the Swedish Migration Agency, who is responsible for further processing. Swedish Police is responsible for the border control when entering Sweden and can not answer questions regarding asylum.  

In general there is no border control when entering Sweden from or via another EU/EEA country, like Poland or Denmark. You should, however, be able to document your identity and your citizenship even when entering from another EU/EEA country, even if this is not required in order to apply for asylum. 

Residence permit according to EU's temporary protection directive

The EU has decided to activate the temporary protection directive. This means that if you are a Ukrainian citizen you can get a temporary residence permit. You can also get a temporary residence permit if you are a third country citizen or stateless, if you have been granted international protection in Ukraine. To be covered by this, you need to have left Ukraine after  24 February 2022. Some limitations apply.

Through a change of regulations which came into effect 26 April 2022, even you who entered and stayed in Sweden in the period 30 October 2021 - 23 February 2022 can receive temporary protection in Sweden. Like if you, as a Ukrainian citizen or resident of Ukraine, entered as a visitor and then remained in Sweden when the situation in Ukraine became more unsafe.

To apply, you need to register and present a biometric passport or other Ukrainian identification documents, and leave fingerprints and have your photo taken at the Swedish Migration Agency. They will also answer questions regarding this process. 

Sweden has had so called temporary border controls at borders with other countries in the Schengen area, a so called internal border, since November 2015. The Swedish government made the decision to reintroduce internal border controls based on the existing threats to internal security and general order in society in Sweden.  

The Swedish Police Authority decides where the border controls are to be enforced, and the controls need to be adjusted to the necessary level in order to protect general order in society or internal security. Amongst other things, Swedish Police willl check to see if you hold a valid travel document. 

Valid travel documents for Swedish citizens

  • Passport
  • National ID card
  • A valid driving licence issued in a Nordic country may suffice for Nordic citizens traveling inside the Nordic countries. Please note that it is the traveller’s responsibility to confirm his or her Nordic citizenship.

Valid travel documents for other Citizens

  • For citizens of a Nordic country, a valid driving license or national ID card issued in a Nordic country may suffice for travels inside the Nordics. Please note that it is the traveller’s responsibility to confirm his or her Norddic citizenship.
  • Citizens of other EU/EEA countries need a valid passport or national ID card. 
  • Individuals holding a Schengen residence permit, needs a valid permit, in addition to a valid passport.
  • Citizens of other countries need to hold a valid passport. The passport can not be older than 10 years and needs to be valid at least 3 months after the planned return journey. A visa might be required. Please check the websites of Regeringskansliet (Government Offices of Sweden) or Migrationsverket (the Swedish Migration Agency) for information on entry requirements for citizens from different countries.
  • Citizens of the UK holding residence status in Sweden, will after Brexit, be allowed to enter Sweden with a national ID card or passport issued by the UK. The same applies to citizens of the UK who can verify that they have applied for residence status. Family members of UK citizens, however, need to hold a valid passport if they are not EU citizens.

Examples of invalid travel documents

  • ID cards issued by Skatteverket (the Swedish Tax Agency) is not valid travel documents. 
  • Different kinds of debit or credit cards or other bank cards are not valid travel documents. 

National ID card

A national ID card is a special identification document issued by the responsible authority in each EU Member State. In Sweden, passports and national ID cards are issued by the Police Authority. Please note that other kinds of ID cards are not valid travel documents.

The Swedish government’s list over countries whose citizens require a visa to enter Sweden (in Swedish)

Website The Swedish Migration Agency

Exemptions to the requirement to hold a valid travel document

Children travelling with their legal guardian 

A minor citizen of a Nordic country, travelling with his or her legal guardian, but without his or her own travel document, can prove his or her right to enter Sweden by the legal guardian providing a legal travel document which qualifies for entry according to the description above, as well as proof of guardianship.

Participants in school trips and similar trips

A group of minors from schools, associations or similar groups, for which a teacher or other adult in a similar role, accepts responsibility, can be granted entry if the adult presents a list of group members. The list needs to include: 

  • personal information of the minors
  • approval from the minors’ legal guardians that the accompanying adult is responsible.

The adult also needs to prove his or her own right to enter and stay in Sweden. The adult also needs to clearly show that the minors participate in an organized group journey within the frame of e.g. school or spare time activities.

All minors need to be citizens of one of the Nordic countries, or citizens of an EEA country and reside in one of those countries.

For minors who are not EEA citizens but residents holding a resident permit in a member state, the form "List of participants on school journeys within the EU" from the Swedish Migration Agency, needs to be completed by the responsible teacher or similar adult.

List of participants on school journeys within the EU

Important to consider when evaluating the right to enter

The risk of illegal immigration and general threats to order and security, is to be taken into consideration during all evaluations in relations to border control. Even the risk of human trafficking and custody disputes, needs to be taken into consideration when a minor's right to enter is evaluated.

A border control officer carrying out border check can not discriminate anyone based on sex, racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation. A person’s ethnicity can not alone be used as a reason to check a person, or group of persons.

More information about travelling with children

Changes because of Brexit after 1 January  2021

UK citizens or family members of a UK citizen are from 1 January  2021 no longer EU citizens since the Brexit. This means that the same regulations  applies to UK citizens as to other third country citizens. To document their right to entry, they need a valid travel document but UK citizens can use either a passport or a national ID card for entry. UK citizens who would like to continue living in Sweden have been able to apply for a new kind of residence status only for UK citizens. More information on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Validity of French ID cards

French national ID cards are usually valid for fifteen years if the holder is eighteen years or older. ID cards issued between January 2nd 2004 and December 31st 2013 were valid for ten years, but the time of validity was prolonged to fifteen years by French law. This happened without a formal note about the prolonged validity was added to the document in question.

Sweden accepts that holders of such ID cards enter and stay in the country, despite the fact that the expiry date on the card might have passed. Persons who are eighteen years or above have, from January 1st 2014, received a new ID card valid for fifteen years, when issued a new card.

Public register of authentic travel and identity documents online (web site in English)