Travel to Sweden during the corona pandemic

There is an entry ban in effect for travels to Sweden until 28 February 2022 for entry from an EU/EEA country, and 31 March 2022 from elsewhere. From an EU/EEA country, a valid covid certificate is sufficient to be exempted and be allowed entry.

Updated 2022-01-27

Changes in the entry ban from 21 January 2022

The Swedish government changed the entry ban from 21 January 2022, now exempting fully vaccinated holders of a vaccine certificate, or certificate of recovery if entering from an EEA* country. The time limit for negative covid-19 tests have been extended to 72 hours.  Home tests without certificates are not accepted. Conditions apply. Different restrictions apply to frontier workers. 

Further information for:

Processed for immigration

In general you will be processed for immigration into the Schengen area in the first Schengen country you arrive in, even if you have a connecting flight to Sweden. If this is the case, the restrictions for entry from EU/EEA will apply to you when you enter Sweden. Ask your airline if you will be processed for immigration in the transit country. And remember to check the entry requirements for the transit country with their Border Police. Swedish Police can only answer questions regarding entry to Sweden. 

Information for non-EEA* citizens (third country nationals). 

Information about valid covid certificates

Third country nationals (non-EU/EEA*) needs to be covered by an exemption in order to enter. More information about exemptions can be found on the entry page for third country nationals.

The entry ban is currently in effect until 28 February 2022 for entry from an EU/EEA country, and till 31 March 2022 for entry from elsewhere. But both entry bans can be extended.

Overview entry ban

Swedish citizens

Foreign citizens who are residents according to the Swedish Population Registry, hold a valid residence permit, residence right or residence status at least one year

To be considered a resident, you need to document that you have lived or will spend the majority of your spare time in Sweden, at least one year. This can be done e.g. with an excerpt from the Swedish Population Registry, a valid residence permit or residence status in Sweden for at least a year. Other examples can be a rental contract, or acceptance letter from a Swedish educational facility for at least one year, and hold the valid permit to study. 

Foreign citizens who are residents according to the Swedish Population Registry, hold a valid residence permit, residence right or residence status less than one year

Frontier workers

Entry from an EEA* country, incl. the Nordics

EEA citizens

Entry from a non-EEA* country 

More information about entry from a country outside EEA* (third country nationals)

Please note that if you transit in an EEA* country and is processed for immigration there, your entry will be subject to the regulations for entry from EEA when entering Sweden, not your original departure country.


= EEA countries include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain.

Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican is not part of the EEA, but is included in the term EEA* on this page. Their citizens are included in the term EEA*-citizen.

From January 1st 2021 UK citizens need to be covered by an exemption, or be an exempted country or a so called approved country, in order to be allowed to enter Sweden. 

Test after arrival

Everyone entering Sweden from abroad  should follow the Public Health Agency of Sweden's recommendations.

No pre-approvals

The decision in each individual case will be made upon arrival at the border control point, and no pre-approvals or equal documentation is issued by Swedish Police. It is not possible to apply for exemptions by post, e-mail or telephone. 

FAQ about the temporary entry ban 

Questions regarding individual cases or enforcement will be answered with a general reference to the law, and this is not a pre-approval. Questions are first and foremost referred to: 

Frequently asked questions: entry ban 

Frågor och svar om det tillfälliga inreseförbudet (in Swedish)

The operators responding at 114 14 have access to the same information which is available on this site.

Summary of the exemption

The following categories are both exempted from the entry ban and will be allowed to enter Sweden without a valid covid certificate, regardless of departure country:

  • Swedish citizens.
  • Foreign citizens who live in Sweden.
  • Foreign citizens with urgent family reasons.
  • Individuals working with the transportation of goods or others working in the transportation industry. 
  • Individuals in need of international protection (e.g. asylum) or have other humanitarian needs. 
  • Sea men. 
  • Diplomats and consular staff employed in Sweden by foreign states, and their family members and staff, and foreign couriers.
  • Persons who are invited by the Government Offices. 

The following cateogries are both exempted from  the entry ban and will be allowed to enter Sweden without a valid covid certificate, when entering from an EEA*-country:

  • Persons under the age of 18.
  • Someone performing, participating in or is subject to health care and medical transports. 
  • Individuals who are to undergo surgery or other essential health care which can not be postponed, in Sweden. 
  • Individuals crossing the border when performing reindeer herding. 
  • Personers travelling via Sweden between Bornholm and another part of Denmark.

More information regarding travellers who are not exempted from the entry ban is available on the website for third country nationals. Information regarding the test itself is available on the page about covid certificates.

Swedish Police can not guarantee that it will be possible to enter Sweden at a specific future date, as the situation is changing and regulations will be adjusted according to the current state. Updates will be published continuously at the Swedish government’s website in English and their Questions and answers – temporary entry ban to Sweden.

Laws and links

Laws and links about the temporary entry ban

For questions regarding the legal framework and regulations, please refer to the Swedish government's FAQ page in English, as well as the Schengen Borders Code and the Visa Code. Questions regarding visas and residence permits should be posed to the Swedish Migration Agency.   

EU Commission's calculator of travel days remaining during a Schengen short-stay visa.