Support for family members of individuals in criminal environments

If you are a family member of someone who is part of the criminal environment, there may be reasons for you to improve your safety and be vigilant. This is a guidance for you.

If you are the victim of an ongoing offence

Call 112!

Download the 112 SOS Alarm app

To be able to contact the police rapidly, it is a good idea to download the 112 SOS Alarm app. This is the official 112 app and it is free to download. The app also shows where you are.

Be vigilant

  • Make sure you pay attention to things that deviate from normal. This might be a car that you have not previously seen in the vicinity of your home, unknown individuals who move around in the neighbourhood for no apparent reason or forgotten bags or other items that may contain dangerous objects.
  • Do not let unknown people into your home or your apartment building.
  • Never open the door unless you know who is there.
  • Stay up to date about what is going on in your neighbourhood by talking to neighbours and others in your local area, such as schools and business owners.
  • Think about whether you can change your daily routines and vary your routes.

Go through your social media

Think about what information you share on social media. Information or pictures of your family, your home or places you regularly visit should not be posted. Also, you should not share your regular routines or other information that makes it easy for others to locate you or predict where you will be. This could be information about workouts, work or social activities.

Share a minimum of information about your home

Share as little information as possible about your home. If you do not feel safe in your home, it may be possible for you to temporarily move in with a family member or friend. In that case, you should inform as few people as possible about it.

Protection of personal data

In certain cases, it may be necessary to apply for protection of personal data. More information about this and on how to apply for protection of personal data (in Swedish).

Tip off the police or file a police report

If you have information to give to the police, you can contact any police officer or leave a tip anonymously on the web.

Contact information

Always file a police report if you are the victim of a crime.

Making a Report

Do you know someone who wants to defect?

If you know someone, an adult or a child, who wants to leave the criminal environment, it is possible to get help from defection programmes:

Avhoppare (in Swedish)

Where to find support

There are different forms of support depending on your needs. 


The health care service is responsible for people with physical injuries or psychological problems. The easiest way to learn more is to visit: Vårdguiden 1177 website.

If it's urgent, call 112!

Social Services

The Social Services are responsible for providing support to victims of crime and their families. This may include psychological and social support and financial and practical assistance. Contact the Social Services in your municipality for more information.

More and more municipalities have support centres for young victims of crime and witnesses. They may be able to offer counselling and practical assistance. Contact your municipality to get in touch with the correct support centre.

Support organisations

There are different kinds of non-profit organisations, such as victim support services, women’s shelters, men’s shelters, support services for hbtqi individuals and organisations working with children and young people.

The Crime Victim Authority’s website provides contact information to different support organisations (in Swedish).

Contact the authority

If a family member has been killed by violence the Swedish national organisation for family members of people killed by violence (RAV), offers support and assistance for family members. (in Swedish)