Temporary import of weapons to Sweden
If you plan to bring your weapon into Sweden temporarily, or are travelling through, certain rules apply . Keep in mind that the weapon you plan to bring into Sweden must be approved for hunting or Shooting competitions in Sweden.
For questions regarding the Covid-19 pandemic and the travel restrictions to Sweden, please keep yourself updated by visiting the Swedish Government's website.
(Does not apply to Iceland)
If you live in Norway, Finland or Denmark and there hold a permanent license (weapon license), you do not need to apply for a temporary weapon import permit if you plan to visit Sweden to hunt or compete for a period shorter than three months. It is sufficient that you file a firearms declaration via the Internet at Swedish Customs when entering and exiting Sweden. You always have to bring your weapon license from your home country or a European firearms pass.
This applies even if you live in any of the Nordic countries and there hold a permanent license (weapon license) and plan to travel through Sweden, Denmark, Finland or Norway for occasional hunting or competitions in any of these countries.
Citizens outside the Nordic region
If you have been invited from other countries to participate in a hunting or shooting competition in Sweden, you must apply for an import permit from the police for a limited period.
As a foreign competitor or guest hunter, you must apply for an import permit and pay the fee in advance of your planned trip. A good tip is to refer to the Swedish hunting or target values when contacting the police.
How to apply for a temporary import of weapons
1. An application for a temporary import of weapons shall contain the following documents:
A: A form for temporary import.
It is important that the form is completed in full. Do not forget to enter the personal ID number of the inviter or host on the form. Fill in the application electronically!
B: An invitation for hunt or competition from responsible hunting or competition host.
Only the person responsible for your visit to Sweden is to be entered as the contact person. The host must be physically present where the hunting or shooting competition is to be held (the contact person does not mean the person organizing hunting trips in Sweden).
Hunting hosts shall use the new form "Invitation for hunt" which replaces all other custom invitations documents.
Competition hosts shall use the new form "Invitation for competition" which replaces all other custom invitations documents.
- If you are the owner of land with hunting rights in Sweden, we require a copy of your title deed or other document confirming your ownership and hunting rights in Sweden.
- If the Hunting host/inviter (not resident in Sweden) is the owner of land with hunting rights in Sweden, we require a copy of his/hers title deed or other document confirming his/hers ownership and hunting rights in Sweden.
C: A scanned copy of your European firearms pass (applies to EU citizens).
The original document for a European firearms pass is not to be submitted when applying for import permit. When you have arrived in Sweden you can visit any Police station if you want your temporary import permit to be registered in your European Firearms Pass. Bring your import permit, identification card and European Firearms Pass.
For citizens of the United States or countries in which weapon permits/licenses are not issued, you are also required to include:
- A scanned copy of a certificate from the hunting host or competition organizer confirming your weapon handling skills and marksmanship.
- A scanned copy of a certificate from the country's local police or equivalent, stating that you are a law abiding citizen and can handle the weapon you want to import.
Be sure that all essential information can be clearly read in the enclosed copies of your original documents.
2. Submit your application.
Send your application for a temporary import of weapons with the mandatory application documents by e-mail to:
- Enter your first and last name in the subject line.
- Submit only one application per person and e-mail.
- If you intend to apply for temporary import of weapons for various purposes, such as hunting and shooting competition at the same time, you must separate them into two different applications. You also pay a separate application fee for each purpose of the application.
3. Pay the fees.
Once the police have received your application and registered it, we send a payment document with a unique OCR number. This will be dispatched to the postal address stated in your application. The police will only begin processing once the application fee has been paid. Turnaround time is longest in June to October. Apply and pay the fee in good time at least 6 weeks before your planned entry into Sweden. The police cannot guarantee turnaround times.
NOTE! A case with a late submitted application or a late paid application fee, in the period of June to October, will only be handled as time permits.
Payment - Application fee
For all questions regarding your payment, contact the Police finance department by email: email@example.com (Please state your File or OCR number when contacting)
4. Permit issued.
If no obstacles exist your permit will be issued. It will be dispatched to the postal address stated in the application.
5. Remember to declare your firearm and ammunition to Swedish Customs.
Once you have received your import permit, all that remains is that you submit a declaration for the firearm and ammunition to Swedish Customs. Bring the form with you and produce it at Swedish Customs upon entry.
Higher application fee
An increase in the application fee has been implemented from 2020-01-01. The application fee is regulated by the fees and charges regulation (1992:191).
This will delay the process
Applications will be handle in the order they are received and when the application fee has been paid.
- Do not send your application more than once, this will only delay the process. There is also a risk that it will be registered twice and a further payment slip is sent to your home address.
- Do not pay the application fee in advance and use only the payment document with the unique OCR number, sent to your home address.
- Processing will also be delayed if the application is incomplete, if any of the mandatory annexes (Application form, copy of European firearms pass and invitation) is missing or if payment is not made immediately.
- Fill in your application form electronically. It is often difficult to read and interpret all information in handwritten document.
- Readable documents attached. Be sure that all essential information can be clearly read in the enclosed copies of your original documents.