Register trade in second-hand goods

If you wish to purchase and sell second-hand goods, you are required to register this commercial activity with the police before commencing your business. This also applies if you wish to work with auctions or if you accept used goods for refurbishing.

Apply well in advance

Remember to apply well in advance and fill out all the information requested. If your application has been completed correctly and you have sent in all the required documents, you’ll get your decision faster.

You are required to register your business if you trade in the following goods:

  • Items that completely or largely consist of gold, silver, platinum, brass, tin or bronze
  • Natural pearls, or natural or synthetic precious or semi-precious stones
  • Mopeds and bikes
  • Pleasure boats, outboard motors, canoes, windsurfing boards and similar items
  • Cameras and video cameras with photographic peripherals as well as timepieces and binoculars
  • Radios, televisions and video recorders
  • Mobile telephones
  • Fax machines
  • Musical instruments and musical equipment
  • Weapons (not including any firearms pursuant to the Weapons Act (SFS 1996:67)
  • Navigation instruments and communication radios
  • Skiing equipment, aside from clothing
  • Paintings, drawings, graphics and sculptures
  • Artwork made of glass, porcelain and other ceramics

Contact the police if you are uncertain as to whether your business and your goods must be registered.

How to register

1. Complete the form

2. Submit the form

Send the form by e-mail or regular mail to the police in the region where the permit will apply. You can also submit the form and pay the fee in person at a police station.

Submit your application

Find a police station and its hours of service (information in Swedish)

3. Receive a decision

We will send you a registration certificate by e-mail or regular mail

Obligations for those trading in second-hand goods

If you are engaged in trading in second-hand goods, you have certain obligations imposed by law. The purpose of these is to prevent, or help the police solve, possible crimes.

You are required to keep a record of the goods you purchased or received in your business. You must be able to give these records to the police if the police request them of you. The police can also ask you to check whether you have received certain second-hand items and whether you still have them.

You are required to give the police access to the premises where you carry on your business. The police are also entitled to examine your bookkeeping and other documents.

You must wait one month from the date when you received an item before you transfer it to another person or refurbish or otherwise modify it. You are not allowed to accept second-hand goods from anyone who is:

  • Unknown to you, and cannot prove their identity with a passport, driver’s licence or other identification document.
  • Younger than 18 years old and has no proof that he has the right to control or dispose of the item.
  • Noticeably under the influence of alcohol or some other intoxicant.

If you no longer engage in the trade that you have registered for, you must notify the police in the same region where registration took place.