Police record extracts for employment in a school or a preschool
When you have been offered a position, assignment, or student teacher internship placement in a school or a preschool, you will be required to present an extract from the criminal records register.
Police record extract via e-service
To use the e-service, you must have an e-mail address that you are willing to provide.
If you are unable to use the e-service, please use one of the forms.
1. Fill in the form
Employment in a school, preschool or childcare. Request a police record extract. In Swedish (Form to fill in digitally and then print out)
Employment in a school, preschool or childcare. Request a police record extract. In Swedish (Form to print out and then fill in by hand).
- It is only possible to request a police record extract about yourself. Power of attorney for another person does not apply.
- If you do not have a Swedish personal ID number (or a coordination number), you will need to state your date of birth (year, month and day) and your full name (all given names and surnames) on the application.
Fill in the application clearly and sign it personally
Keep in mind that a properly prepared and completely filled in application that is personally signed with a pen facilitates your obtaining a police record extract faster.
2. Send in the form
Scan or photograph the signed form and then send the form by e-mail or post to the police.
Polismyndigheten/The Swedish Police Authority
SE-981 27 Kiruna
3. You will receive a criminal records registry extract
You will receive a criminal records extract from us by post. The extract will be sent to the address you have specified on the application. The police are not permitted to send extracts directly to an employer.
The processing time is up to two weeks from the time we have received the application until the time we send the extract. The processing time may vary, depending on how many people request extracts at a given time.
If you are a citizen of another country in the European Union or the United Kingdom, the police retrieve information from that country. This means the processing time may be slightly longer.
We cannot prioritize a certain application.
The following applies for the extract
You are required to present a criminal records registry extract only when you are offered an employment, a student teacher internship, or an assignment in a school, a preschool, or childcare. Never submit the criminal records extract together with your application for employment.
- The extract is valid for 1 year.
- The employer may only document that the extract has been shown. They may not make a copy of the extract or document the information in the extract.
- You can use the registry extract and show it to more than one employer.
If you are going to do internship in a school and are employed by a staff agency, it is the school that has the right to request the extract, not the staff agency.
A check of criminal records from the criminal records register is designed to strengthen the protection of children and adolescents against sexual offences and other serious criminal offences.
The police record extract is part of the documentation for assessing whether a particular individual is suitable for employment in a school or a preschool. Even if an individual does not have any notations of a criminal offence, other factors for assessment of the individual’s suitability must be carefully assessed. If an individual has been convicted and served his sentence, this does not entail a prohibition on employing that individual.
Organisations/activities encompassed within the requirement for a check of criminal records.
You are required to show an extract from the criminal records registry for both governmental and private employers within the following organisations/activities::
- preschool class
- primary school
- primary school for pupils with learning disabilities
- special needs school
- Sámi school
- Upper secondary school
- Upper secondary school for pupils with learning disabilities
- leisure-time centre/afterschool activity centre
- other educational activities (e.g. open preschool, open afterschool activity centre, care during times when preschool/ afterschool activity centre care is not offered)
- equivalent outsourced activities.
This is shown in the police record extract
The extract from the criminal records registry shows information if penalty punishment has been imposed on you for:
- Aggravated assault
- All sex offences
- Child pornography offences
- Aggravated robbery
If the sentence for the crime also encompasses any other offence, details of that offence will also be included in the extract.